Thursday, April 4, 2013

Inspiration Thursday: Rothko

A few weeks back when I started Inspiration Thursday and dear friend of mine suggested I try a manicure inspired by Mark Rothko.  I've long been a fan of his work, but I was trying to wrap my mind around how I could execute the perfect imperfection of a Rothko painting, on my nails.  Then I remembered that I just needed to be inspired by a Rothko painting not replicate it to the most minute detail - again, the perfectionist me was trying to take over, but I beat it back with all of the strength I could muster.

If you know me at all you know that I love green, and I LOVE pink, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise that my favorite Rothko is Green Red on Orange.  While the title of the painting indicates it is red, not pink, I see pink when I look at it, so pink it is!



To achieve this Rothko-esque manicure I started out by painting my nails with two coats of Zoya Farah.  Once that had completely dried I cut a wedge makeup sponge into five small rectangular pieces.  I then placed a generous drop of Zoya Midori, and Zoya Katy about 1/16" apart on the sponge and dabbed it onto each nail.  I repeated the dabbing step twice to achieve the opacity you see here.



Any suggestions for next week's Inspiration Thursday?  Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment