Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Quest for the Perfect Mascara

How many of us have been on an endless quest for the perfect mascara?  One that doesn't clump, flake, run, or irritate -- and is it too much to ask that it also makes our lashes look full, long, curled, and fantastic?  After trying countless mascaras, from Maybelline to Dior,  I've discovered the real truth...  No, there is not ONE mascara that can accomplish all that, however there are several, if used in the right combination, can give you fab lashes! 



Let's start with a primer (and even before that we must start with curling our lashes, sadly there is no substitute for the medieval torture contraption known as an eyelash curler).  As a self-proclaimed Urban Decay lover I was saddened to discover their lash primer goes on uneven and clumpy.  After a bit more searching I discovered Tarte MultiplEYE Clinically-Proven Natural Lash Enhancing Primer, and have not since found a worthy substitute.  The Tarte primer gives my lashes a nice base for colored mascara, and the best part is that it is also helping my natural lashes to grow in thicker and longer!  Pretty awesome, right?

Next is Buxom Lash by Buxom.  To start with I LOVE the wand (see photo below)!  It manages to always pick up the right amount of product.  The wand does a great job of separating my lashes, and depositing just enough mascara on each lash.  This being said Buxom Lash is not going to give you high-impact, va va voom lashes on its own.  I use this mascara over primer, but I usually follow up with another even more impressive mascara such as...



Tarte's Lights, Camera, Lashes!  Tarte's famous mascara gives lashes huge volume, and it stays where you put it.  Need I say more?

My hands-down favorite mascara is Volcanic Minerals Volumizing Mascara by Korres.  Korres claims that this mascara increases lash volume by 600%, and I believe it!  If you really want to pump up the volume on your lashes this is the mascara for you.  The wand (see photo below) is one of the larger that I've ever used, but it is very easy to use and really packs the mascara on your lashes, without clumping, for a fuller than full look, which I love!  I've had a lot of problems in the past with my mascara ending up smudged under my eye less than an hour after applying makeup.  Not only does this mascara stay put for the first hour, it stays put until I wash it off without being difficult to remove.  Way to go, Korres!



They're Real by Benefit is a fairly recent discovery for me.  It was included in the Sephora Lash Stash that I purchased in November.  By December I was sold and bought a full size tube.  The wand (see photo below) is very similar to the Buxom wand however the formula is much thicker and like the Korres mascara, it really packs on a lot of product without clumping.  My only complaint about They're Real is that it tends to end up under my eyes after a long day.  To get around that I use it as the second of three layers of mascara, usually under the Korres.



If like me, you have problems with runny mascara, but would prefer more conservative lashes I highly recommend Blinc mascara.  This mascara uses "tube-technology" to create water-resistant tubes around each lash.  Sound a little crazy?  It is!  Blinc mascara really does stay put all day long - not a single flake or smudge, but as you wash it off you can actually see tiny tubes in the sink.

I hope this helps in your quest for the perfect mascara, or combination of mascaras.  Toodles for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment