Friday, March 22, 2013

Red Ruffian

I've been seeing Ruffian manicures all over the nail blogs recently.  The first few times I saw them I was less than impressed, not by the execution but by the look - it didn't trigger anything inside of me that made me think, "I want to try that!"  It seems that a Ruffian is traditionally done with a light, neutral color at the cuticle and a darker color over the top.  That combination doesn't speak to me, so I tried my hand at using red and black - one can never go wrong with that combination!


I started out with one coat of Zoya Rekha - a divine classic red.  This polish I painted on as I normally would for any manicure.  Once that had completely dried I used three coats of Zoya Dahlia over the top.  It was remarkably easy to freehand this look - I painted the Dahlia as I normally would, just moved it down the nail bed a bit.


I was worried that this color combination would look like I had bloody cuticles, and Jeff said just that - even so I was very pleased with how it came out and it caught many an eye.

If you were to wear a Ruffian what colors would you choose?  Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment